Muffin Meals

No, these meals won't be muffins but Muffin is one of my nicknames. Besides, it sounds cute! After viewing the Vegan Lunchbox site, religiously, my Husband wants me to post my own menu. I will try to post one meal each day. I hope I inspire people to have creative and healthy home cooked meals. I think that even if you aren't a vegetarian, you'll like the meals I present. I do feature dairy products and eggs in my food from time to time, but will try my best to present vegan dishes as well.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Cream of Broccoli Soup - Vegan!

Tonight was a quick fix (macaroni and sauce) and I didn't get a chance to take a picture, so I'm posting the Broccoli Soup Recipe. This is adapted from the Choices cookbook by Cheryl Thomas Peters, R.D.

2 C water
1-2 stalks broccoli or 1.5 lbs frozen broccoli
(she puts 1 stalk celery, however I did not)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 T olive oil
2 T flour
2.5 C water
2 T McKay's Chicken-Style seasoning
2 tsp garlic salt
1 C soymilk

In 3 qt saucepan boil broccoli and onion (and celery) in first 2 C water. Cover and cook 10 minutes or until tender. Using Blender or food processor, blend to uniform consistency.

Heat oil in 3 qt saucepan over low heat. Stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in 2.5 C water and heat to boiling again. Stir constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Add broccoli, McKay's Chicken-Style seasoning, and garlic salt. You may also add up to 2 C of small broccoli florets at this point and boil until tender. Then add soymilk and heat thoroughly. Serves 8 (in my house, 3).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home