Muffin Meals

No, these meals won't be muffins but Muffin is one of my nicknames. Besides, it sounds cute! After viewing the Vegan Lunchbox site, religiously, my Husband wants me to post my own menu. I will try to post one meal each day. I hope I inspire people to have creative and healthy home cooked meals. I think that even if you aren't a vegetarian, you'll like the meals I present. I do feature dairy products and eggs in my food from time to time, but will try my best to present vegan dishes as well.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Fried Green Tomatoes

No, this isn't about Fried Green Tomatoes the movie! I saw some green tomatoes at the local farm stand so snatched them up. I haven't had fried green tomatoes in so long! I invited my mother and Grandmother over for supper last night. With all this heat, combined the fact they are moving, I figured they could use a good meal that they didn't have to work for!

The big red thing there is manicotti. Tofu-stuffed as usual with minced scallions and mushrooms mixed with the tofu. And because of the heat, a nice healthy salad.

I let Mini Muffin "help" with this meal too. She got to see me stuffing the manicotti, slicing the tomatoes and she got to put all of the ingredients of the salad in the bowl after I cut them. Mini Muffin absolutely loved the green tomatoes. I wasn't sure if she would, but she did. She also ate half of her half of a manicotti....not bad for a 1.5 year old. She sampled the salad as well.

Grand Muffin ate her food with utterances such as "mmm", "good", and "good food", all the way through her meal. Corn Muffin did the same, however she did comment that she couldn't comment much because she was too busy stuffing her face! Muffin Man wasn't so sure about the Green Tomatoes idea, but we all noticed that he went back for a generous second helping!!

Awesome meal!

Editing to give recipe for the fried tomatos.

I used:

3 large green tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inches
1 C cracker crumbs or Matzo Meal
1 tsp each of dried: Oregano, Basil, Parsley, Thyme, Paprika, Garlic.
2 eggs
1 C flour

In one bowl beat eggs, and set aside. In another bowl, mix cracker crumbs and seasonings. Put the flour in a third bowl. Flour each side of the tomato slices, and then dip into the eggs. Dredge each slice in the breadcrumb mixture and fry on each side until golden brown.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:47 PM, Blogger Nicki Baker said…

    i love the movie lol. and your food looks good :)

     
  • At 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The manicotti looks delicious!

    VeggieMamacita

     

Post a Comment

<< Home