Muffin Meals

No, these meals won't be muffins but Muffin is one of my nicknames. Besides, it sounds cute! After viewing the Vegan Lunchbox site, religiously, my Husband wants me to post my own menu. I will try to post one meal each day. I hope I inspire people to have creative and healthy home cooked meals. I think that even if you aren't a vegetarian, you'll like the meals I present. I do feature dairy products and eggs in my food from time to time, but will try my best to present vegan dishes as well.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Chili Rellanos!

Inspired by a local restaurant that serves these, I have tried to make them myself a time or two. I'm still experimenting with my recipe, but it came out really well this time. I really like them as whole chili's stuffed with cheese, less so when they are made as rolls or casseroles. And, as at any good restaurant, beans and rice accompany the chili's. The beans are S&W brand chili beans, which happen to be vegan. The stuff on the chili's is a cornmeal flour batter made with soy milk and egg. I believe the egg could be left off. The batter was a bit thin on this particular chili so you can see the chili through the batter.

Mini Muffin ate her whole serving of rice and beans, typical for her. She loves beans. She did not like the chili because it was too hot for her. However, us adults LOVED the chilis and quickly finished up Rachel's as well. Even though I know there are things she won't like, we usually serve them to her to a) encourage her to try them, and b) make her feel part of the meal, rather than being left out of something. We only ask her to try the new foods or the ones she's not sure about, and then after that she doesn't have to eat them.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yummmmm!!!!!
    That looks good enough to eat!
    Oh, wait, that is what it is for.
    I am proud of you daughter!

    Mama

     
  • At 5:43 PM, Blogger jess (of Get Sconed!) said…

    Oh, that looks good!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home