Muffin Meals

No, these meals won't be muffins but Muffin is one of my nicknames. Besides, it sounds cute! After viewing the Vegan Lunchbox site, religiously, my Husband wants me to post my own menu. I will try to post one meal each day. I hope I inspire people to have creative and healthy home cooked meals. I think that even if you aren't a vegetarian, you'll like the meals I present. I do feature dairy products and eggs in my food from time to time, but will try my best to present vegan dishes as well.

Friday, May 26, 2006

Personal Spanakopitas

Upon trying to decide what to make tonight, my eyes fell on the phyllo dough in my fridge. I didn't really want to do the whole cassarole dish, as it takes a while. But then I thought, why not do little personal ones! And boy, were those easier and faster!!! I used:

1/2 of a bag of chopped spinach
1/3 of a large carrot, grated,
And some feta and chedder cheeses.

I then mixed it together and filled the dough. You just have to make sure to squeeze as much water out of the spinach as possible. I rolled them up like little greek burritos, oilying with olive oil, and presto, done! I brushed them with oil on the top, and baked them at 350 for about 30 minutes (half the time for the whole thing!) It made 4. This would be perfect for a family who doesn't have the hour to make the pie and another hour to bake it. I'd say 30 minutes prep at the absolute most, 30 minutes baking. Plus, during that 30 minutes baking you can have the rice cooking and make your vegetable side!

Verdict: Awesome meal. Mini Muffin ate half of a pie, and all of her small serving of rice. DH ate his, and said "awesome meal!" I loved mine. This is a winner!

1 Comments:

  • At 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi! I just discovered your site tonight and I'm reading all your posts and looking at your food. I'm a mom, too, so seeing kid-friendly veggie meals is great. Thanks!

    Diana-Kate

     

Post a Comment

<< Home