Muffin Meals

No, these meals won't be muffins but Muffin is one of my nicknames. Besides, it sounds cute! After viewing the Vegan Lunchbox site, religiously, my Husband wants me to post my own menu. I will try to post one meal each day. I hope I inspire people to have creative and healthy home cooked meals. I think that even if you aren't a vegetarian, you'll like the meals I present. I do feature dairy products and eggs in my food from time to time, but will try my best to present vegan dishes as well.

Friday, June 02, 2006

Indian food! VEGAN!

Ok, here's another vegan meal. Lentils, brown rice, coconut vegetable curry, and samosas! The samosas were made with pie dough, stuffed with curried potatoes and garbanzo beans. I then baked them at 350 till the dough was nice and done, at least 30 minutes. I didn't really keep track.

The lentils were basic lentils, but the curry was made with the rest of the potatoes from the samosas, a can of garbanzo beans and frozen mixed vegetables. I cooked all that in water thickened with cornstarch and at the end added a small amount of coconut milk, to give it creaminess. I seasoned the whole thing with curry powder, paprika, and garlic salt.

Verdict: Good and filling! If you want to feed people well, this is it! I was full after eating the plate of food pictured here. Mini Muffin still isn't feeling her greatest, but after tasting the food, decided it wasn't all that bad, and ate half of her plate. That still wasn't much, but hey, she ate it! My mom was here again, (yes, she eats with us a lot now!) and she was in heaven! Definately a great meal. I'm glad DH begged for it for so long!

5 Comments:

  • At 5:35 AM, Blogger mira said…

    Looks yummy. A quick tip for samosas from an Indian friend of mine, she uses tortillas (not the corn ones) cut in half, wraps them around the filling and then fries them (although I guess baking would work too).

     
  • At 6:44 AM, Blogger LadyRachelLynn said…

    Thanks for the tip, I'll have to think about how to do that!

     
  • At 7:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love the samosa idea. I have never made them and have never even tasted them, but they sound like something I would enjoy making and my family would enjoy eating.

    VeggieMamacita

     
  • At 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, I'm sending an update from my previous post. I tried the samosas today. Well, I varied it, but it was a dish inspired by this site. I used pizza dough instead of pie dough and I used potatoes and carrots in a tomato sauce instead of curry...so I guess it was more of a mini calazone. But they were a HIT with the family (except my 4yo who claimed he didn't like cooked potatoes!). Next time I make curry, I'll save extra to cook samosas. Thanks.

    VeggieMamacita

     
  • At 7:36 AM, Blogger LadyRachelLynn said…

    That's awesome! I'm glad that they went off so well! HURRAY!

    Muffin

     

Post a Comment

<< Home