Muffin Meals

No, these meals won't be muffins but Muffin is one of my nicknames. Besides, it sounds cute! After viewing the Vegan Lunchbox site, religiously, my Husband wants me to post my own menu. I will try to post one meal each day. I hope I inspire people to have creative and healthy home cooked meals. I think that even if you aren't a vegetarian, you'll like the meals I present. I do feature dairy products and eggs in my food from time to time, but will try my best to present vegan dishes as well.

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Pumpkin Pie, a picture story

Sigh.....

If it isn't one thing, its another. My batteries kept dying on my camera everytime I wanted to post!!! Well now I have a nice sweet picture story for you.

Take a Pumpkin. Cut it in half. Pull out all of the seeds. The best way to do this is with a spoon. However, the most fun way, as any cute muffin will tell you, is with your hands!! Add a little silliness to it, like seeds on noses, ears, or all around messiness. Trust me, the pie will taste better!

Now, once your pie halves are nicely cleaned, bake them in the oven at 350. The time it will take will vary, according to your pumpkin, but a half hour is a good starting point. You want your pumpkin to be soft. So check it about when you can smell it. When done, remove from oven and let cool.

After the pumpkin is cooled, peel the outer skin off. If you have a champion juicer, perfect. If you don't, find some other way to puree your pumpkin. Puree it til it is like babyfood. You will need about 2 cups of this, so put the rest aside for the freezer or in the fridge for cookies or something.

Use the following recipe, and enjoy!

1 C packed light-brown sugar
1 T cornstarch
1/2 t salt
1 t ground ginger
1 t ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
2 C fresh Pumpkin Purée , or canned
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 C evaporated milk

1. Preheat oven to 425°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. In a large bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, pumpkin purée, and 3 eggs. Beat well. Add evaporated milk, and combine. Set aside.

2. Fill pie shell with pumpkin mixture. Transfer to prepared baking sheet.

3. Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°, and continue baking for 30 minutes more. Cool on a wire rack.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home