Muffin Meals

No, these meals won't be muffins but Muffin is one of my nicknames. Besides, it sounds cute! After viewing the Vegan Lunchbox site, religiously, my Husband wants me to post my own menu. I will try to post one meal each day. I hope I inspire people to have creative and healthy home cooked meals. I think that even if you aren't a vegetarian, you'll like the meals I present. I do feature dairy products and eggs in my food from time to time, but will try my best to present vegan dishes as well.

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Hot Dog-Topus Sounds fishy!

I have been so busy with some creative ideas for teaching MiniB Muffin, I totally forgot about this blog. I'm sorry. Here's a picture of one of the things that has kept me so busy!

Apple Baskets

These are math tools to teach numbers, addition, and subtraction. The apples really go into the baskets, so MiniB Muffin has been learning how to so simple addition!!

I also have made Leaf Letters, the Alphabet on Leaf shapes, for teaching letters and spelling. For instance, today we spelled Pear, Peas, Pig, Pie, and a couple other words.

I made a calendar for her as well. It has the dates and month attached by Velcro, and is made from poster board. If anyone is interested in anything else I've done, or to see pictures of these items, let me know.

Now onto today's food.

I am totally into making food fun. It often will the get pickiest eater to eat. However, with MiniB, I never had to worry about that. Even so, I still like to make her meals fun now and again.

Someone, but I"m not sure who, gave me this idea for a Octodog. However, I can never say that word. So we call it an Hot Dog-topus. Its basically a hot dog, vege in this case, with the last two thirds of its body cut into eight legs. Then you spread it out on the plate, or beans or whatever you are pairing it with. Next to the hot dog-topus, you'll notice some fishy friends. There is also cucumber (sea cucumbers if you want to get imaginative), cauliflower (kind of looks like coral maybe), snap peas (can we say kelp?) and a few sliced mushrooms.


Give it a go, let me know if YOUR kids like their hot dog-topus.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:50 AM, Blogger Skepteach said…

    Cool Octopus! My mom would make octopuses from hot dogs when I was growing up. She would cut 4 legs in each end and microwave them in a sauce of ketchup, mustard and brown sugar (they didn't look nearly as cool as yours though). I remember when I was about 5 one of my friends wouldn't eat them when she ate lunch at our house because she was afraid they were real octopuses!
    I still make myself octopuses from my mom's recipe with veggie dogs from time to time.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home