Muffin Meals

No, these meals won't be muffins but Muffin is one of my nicknames. Besides, it sounds cute! After viewing the Vegan Lunchbox site, religiously, my Husband wants me to post my own menu. I will try to post one meal each day. I hope I inspire people to have creative and healthy home cooked meals. I think that even if you aren't a vegetarian, you'll like the meals I present. I do feature dairy products and eggs in my food from time to time, but will try my best to present vegan dishes as well.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Opps, a not so great one

I really like summer squash casserole. However, this one wasn't so good. I used matzah meal in place of the bread crumbs, and I think I put too much in, as it was too dry.

The vegetables on the side where good.

Well, here is the recipe, as I have made it successfully before. As usual, I substituted the liquid dairy for soymilk with a couple tablespoons of cornstarch.

Squash Casserole

Ingredients

Serves 8

* 2 pounds yellow squash or zucchini, (older larger squash may be used here), cleaned and cut into 1/2-inch rounds
* 1 yellow onion, peeled and cut into large dice
* 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
* 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
* 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
* 1 cup heavy cream
* 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
* 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
* 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 1 cayenne pepper

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place squash and onion in a medium saucepan, and cover with water. Add 1 tablespoon salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain well, and transfer to a large bowl.
2. Add 1 cup breadcrumbs, eggs, cream, thyme, 1/2 cup cheese, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and remaining teaspoon salt. Gently stir to combine. Pour into a 2-quart shallow baking dish. Spread remaining 1/2 cup cheese and remaining 1/2 cup breadcrumbs over top. Cover, and bake until set, about 30 minutes. Uncover, and continue baking until top is browned, about 10 minutes more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home