Muffin Meals

No, these meals won't be muffins but Muffin is one of my nicknames. Besides, it sounds cute! After viewing the Vegan Lunchbox site, religiously, my Husband wants me to post my own menu. I will try to post one meal each day. I hope I inspire people to have creative and healthy home cooked meals. I think that even if you aren't a vegetarian, you'll like the meals I present. I do feature dairy products and eggs in my food from time to time, but will try my best to present vegan dishes as well.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

VEGAN!!!! Asian Food
























Whoo hoo, what a surprise. An Asian meal that's vegan LOL. I have to say, this is probably the easiest menu, aside from Indian, to make Vegan.

Menu: Tom Yum, a Thai soup, Sushi, and Stir fried rice.

Tom Yum: This is a sweet and sour soup, usually made with Shrimp and flavored with Shrimp paste, or fish paste. Here is what I did to make it vegan.

2 C water
3 fresh mushrooms medium size cut into convenient spoonable size pieces
2 stalks of lemon grass, bruised (this isn't eaten, but is an essential flavorant)
2 "kaffir" lime leaves

2-3 tablespoons of soy sauce.
1-2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce

2 chunks of
Galanga root.
1/4 cube tofu, chopped into convenient spoonable size pieces

Beat the lemon grass with the grinder of the mortar and pestle, or with the back of something like a cleaver.
Heat the 2 cups of water to boiling point, add the lime leaves, lemon grass, galanga root and soy sauce. When it is highly aromatic, add the mushrooms and the sweet chili sauce. Taste to see if it needs more chili sauce or soy sauce. Serves 2 and a half!

I apologize for the blurry pictures. I am not sure what was wrong with my camera today. I notice it only did that on the warm foods, so I'm wondering if steam was an issue.

Verdict: Mini Muffin was hesitant about trying the Tom Yum. However, we've eaten this at our friend's Thai Restaurant before, so I think she realized it was familiar. She ate a several bites and then discovered the sushi....which she LOVES! So she proceeded to eat most of one of those. When I finally gave her the rice, she ate most of that, only stopped because her belly couldn't hold anymore! Healthy and delicious!

Special thanks to Corn Muffin, my mom, for messing up her Tom Kha recipe the other day and donating the lime, lime leaves, lemon grass, and galanga root for this meal!

2 Comments:

  • At 1:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey!

    Don't tell on me!

    OK, so I'm not as good a cook as my daughter!
    That is the earmark of a great teacher!
    The student surpasses the master!

    See what a great teacher I am?!?

    I did mess up on my Tom Kah. You are supposed to use "fish sauce" and since I too am vegetarian, I tried to substitute vegetarian oyster sauce. (shhhh, it didn't work) Muffin's substitution is better. I will try that next time.

    Don't you all think the least she could have done is invite me over to sample it?

    Corn Muffin

     
  • At 6:24 AM, Blogger LadyRachelLynn said…

    Next time Mom, Next time!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home