Muffin Meals

No, these meals won't be muffins but Muffin is one of my nicknames. Besides, it sounds cute! After viewing the Vegan Lunchbox site, religiously, my Husband wants me to post my own menu. I will try to post one meal each day. I hope I inspire people to have creative and healthy home cooked meals. I think that even if you aren't a vegetarian, you'll like the meals I present. I do feature dairy products and eggs in my food from time to time, but will try my best to present vegan dishes as well.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Eggplant Pizza.

Well, I almost forgot to take a picture. But I did manage to get one of the last, lonely piece of pizza!

If any of you are thinking, EWWW, Eggplant on PIZZA, let me explain. I first had Eggplant on my Pizza several years ago at small restaurant called "The Trolley Stop Pizzeria", in Massachusetts. This place had all sorts of oddities on their pizza menu..apples, almonds, and yes, Eggplant. My mind envisioned brownish purple slimey blobs....but they told me they used their eggplant Parmesan. I was intrigued, and tried it. And that, my friends, was the best ingredient I've EVER had on my pizza. It became so common for me to order, that they began to know which pizza I wanted before I asked! Mushrooms, onions, and eggplants, please!

So now, I bring the secret to you all! Next time YOU make eggplant parmesan, try saving aside a couple of slices to add to your pizza. Trust me, you'll be glad you did!

I made this pizza on whole wheat crust!

Verdict: Muffin Man was so surprised at the flavor. I don't think he believed years ago when I'd order it. He does now!! He did mention however, that the pizza crust tasted, um, wheaty. GOOD! Mini Muffin ate half of a pizza slice. Pretty good, I think. I ate 4. Yes, 4!! Then I ate the last one before bed.

6 Comments:

  • At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great idea! I mentioned that I wanted to make the eggplant (non)Parmesan from your post a few days ago, but I didn't do it because it was too hot to heat up the oven. Instead Dh smoked eggplant to make a dip, and now I'm wondering if I could use the leftover dip as pizza sauce. Hmmm...might be worth trying!

    We put just about anyhing on pizza around here, except meat. :)

    VeggieMamacita

     
  • At 8:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just an update to let you know I did make the pizza with the eggplant dip as the sauce. I spread the dip on homemade pizza dough and the drizzled a tiny bit of regular pizza sauce over it (mainly because I had a bit to use up and I thought it would look nice). I topped it with sliced tomatoes and mozzarella cheese. If I had black olives or black beans hand, that would've looked pretty and tasted great, too. But as it was, it was wonderful and a bit hit with the whole family. So...thanks for the idea!

    VeggieMamacita

     
  • At 12:46 AM, Blogger LadyRachelLynn said…

    How did your DH make that dip? I'd love to know how!

     
  • At 12:55 AM, Blogger AnneJ said…

    Sorry to ask but how do u make eggplant parmesan, could you provide me a link to the post in ur archives if u have already posted on tht. Oh n ur blog is great and have a nice holiday! thanks

     
  • At 7:37 AM, Blogger LadyRachelLynn said…

    To find my eggplant recipe, scroll down a little ways on the muffin meals page or click here.

    That should help you. If you still have questions, feel free to ask on here or email me through my profile!

     
  • At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Here's the recipe for the eggplant dip (aka pizza sauce). I was wrong about the smoking part; DH baked it.

    Eggplant Dip
    Bake the eggplant until soft. You can bake it whole, or slice and peel it first. Put the cooked eggplant (minus the peel) into a blender or food processor along with 1 chopped onion, 1 tsp oregano, 2 TBLS olive oil, and as much garlic as you can handle. Blend it up until the consistency you like. Very tasty!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home